Monday, November 10, 2008

Did you hear they are going to tear down the statue of liberty?

In the wake of an historic election, I find myself in an interesting position. Given my personal feelings about politics, I was a staunch supporter of the victor, Mr. Obama, yet I choose to keep my views hidden/neutral for the sake of my classes. Within the framework of academic standards, there lies little room for such ever changing topics as current affairs and politics. Despite my restrictions, I decided to go ahead and devote one day per week to the current election (which in turn puts me significantly behind on my pacing guide - sometimes you just have to make sacrifices!). My students favored Obama significantly in the election. In a 7th and 8th grade mock election, 94% voted Obama while a measly 6% supported the white guy. On the ballot initiative questions, my students' votes correlated with the state results. No to repealing the income tax, yes to decriminilizing marijuana and yes to banning dog racing. My students all seemed to be excited about the election and many of them were enthralled that America had elected a President who looks like them.

The incidents I write about today both confused and surprised me. First, before the election even happened (I believe it was Monday prior), I had students, both black and hispanic, telling me "keep the white house white!" I know they were saying it in jest, but I wonder what put it into their heads. Why they were spreading it around. I chuckled and told them to cut it out, but retrospectively, it was probably something I should have responded to.

The second incident inspired today's title. A diminutive African-American student was waiting in line for the class to head to lunch when he asked me, "Hey Mr! Did you know they are going to tear down the Statue of Liberty?." I responded, "No? I didn't hear that. What are you talking about?" The student shot back with his unexpected punchline, "Yeah they are tearing it down and putting up a statue of Aunt Jemima holding a chicken wing!" I was taken aback and paused a moment before responding. ".... would that have been funny if a white student had said it in an all while school?" The student became slightly defensive and said, "I don't know!" in a way that said to me that he didn't realize what he was saying may have been offensive.

It is very perplexing to me to hear these sorts of things. I wonder to myself whether or not racism and bigotry have infused into my student's very being, or if I am just over-exagerating? Or maybe a little bit of each? Either way, being white and very racially conscious in a school where most of my students are of color creates some discourse and dialogue that is both interesting and hopefully helpful in moving forward with shaping students' minds in ways that will help make the world more open minded and positive.

No comments: